facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 78 DT100 Clutch assembly help

78 DT100 Clutch assembly help 28 Jun 2019 11:43 #1

• cronos68
  • cronos68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Hello and thanks in advance
78 DT100

Bike has sat for quite some time in various stages.
Trying to assemble clutch and need some help with parts and order of parts.
I see some various photos of clutch assembly and each has differences for my model year.
I think my version is "D"

I have a 5 bolt pressure plate
Could not find ball bearing between connecting rods but could have lost it.

From primary gear to boss I have the thick washer and spacer #14 and #15 on fiche
Ball bearing I'm not sure if their was one between rods (not all fiche's have ball bearing)
With boss assembled in primary gear housing I have a flat washer #13 on fiche but it is not a spring washer (i have one after recently bought) and have nut at #12 .

So main question
should I put in ball bearing?
Should I use spring washer?

Previous assembly with using ball bearing between rods and using washer instead of spring washer was disengaging clutch but clutch cable its self is probably needing adjustments.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 DT100 Clutch assembly help 29 Jun 2019 01:26 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Not sure sorry so no help but i'd assemble the clutch as a dummy run & fee if the operating arm comes way around compared to how it was originally assuming cable adjustment on handle bar lever & everything was working ok back then. It's usual to have a ball bearing but look at the end of the rod & if ground in a curve--is radiused the word-- then it couldn't run a ball. Keep in mind with that type of pushrod & lifter it'll have to be radiused at the lifter end. So in your case i'd be looking for the same both ends so the radius takes the place of the ball. Late 250/360/400 motors have that system but run a fat pushrod with curved ends.
I notice the thrust washer has had a hard time with heat or something? & needs facing off. Also how's the condition of what it runs against--can see the clutch center slight damage there. Has it run dry on oil at some stage or lack of clearance on that as it comes into operation when sitting there in gear with clutch in. Well and changing gear for a fraction of a second [unless your a brute like me & don't use the clutch lol].
Spring washer is ok in place of a fold over lock tab. If it's done up tight it shouldn't need anything--in theory.
Someone more familiar with these will be along soon. ps, if it 'did' run a ball then you should be able to see the mark where it's been running before.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: cronos68

78 DT100 Clutch assembly help 08 Jul 2019 10:10 #3

• cronos68
  • cronos68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thank you!
Seems to work after trying options. Thanks for the time.
Was confused on the different configurations with years.I put ball between the 2 push rods.

Bike still up in air so not running yet.

78 DT100 Clutch assembly help 11 Jul 2019 12:14 #4

• Microcentrum
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Hey I know I'm late to the party - but I wanted to note that the ball bearing was a serious PITA for me a few months ago. I ended up cutting some steed rod and making a shim in it's place. Has held up great and isn't as squishy as the three piece setup.

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart