facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another non-sparking dt2!

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 08:08 #1

• Taps
  • Taps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Acquired this bike recently, and I have no spark. Previous owner gave up on it. I'm not sure what all he tried, but considering he had several older yamaha enduros, I'm guessing he ran into the same roadblock I'm hitting and said screw it.

So, I've already replaced the points and condenser since that is everyone's first suggestion. Even if not THE problem, still good to do. that didn't do it. I've read all the posts I can find on testing this and that, and I'm not finding a solution. I currently have the stator off and have unsoldered the replacement condenser. Everything is sitting in front of me, and I'm ready to start testing again. Anyone willing to give some guidance?

I'll post pics of my test setups in case I'm doing something stupid. :-)

Ready!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Taps. Reason: Fix typos, add photo

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 08:42 #2

• asco
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Taps wrote: Acquired this bike recently, and I have no spark. Previous owner gave up on it. I'm not sure what all he tried, but considering he had several older yamaha enduros, I'm guessing he ran into the same roadblock I'm hitting and said screw it.

So, I've already replaced the points and condenser since that is everyone's first suggestion. Even if not THE problem, still good to do. that didn't do it. I've read all the posts I can find on testing this and that, and I'm not finding a solution. I currently have the stator off and have unsoldered the replacement condenser. Everything is sitting in front of me, and I'm ready to start testing again. Anyone willing to give some guidance?

I'll post pics of my test setups in case I'm doing something stupid. :-)

Ready!

My question would be two fold.
Are you looking for guidance or are you looking to solve the problem?

If it were me. I would send the stator, flywheel and coil to DEET.

Then I would reattach those parts and start the bike. No further questions.

By the way.
Welcome to the Yamaha Enduro Community !!

asco

YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS
818-521-2109
MINIBIKESERVICE@AOL.COM CUSTOM MINIBIKE (RALPH) 2002 110cc XR PAX RACING 1971 125cc AT1-C (DOROTHEA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 250cc DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL) 1969 125cc AT1-M MX (DELILAH)
Last Edit: by asco.

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 08:49 #3

• DEET
If you send it in for repair, I test it LIVE with the flywheel and ignition coil. When you get it back, you will know that it produces spark and all the required voltages. All you do is set the timing.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2, 1971DT250, swm, asco

Yamaha@nc.rr.com

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 12:24 #4

• RTD2
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Asco, me and many others have been through this. Deet will send you a working system, just install, time (he gets it very close!) and start.

Mike
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco

68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross, 57 Matchless G80CS, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 12:40 #5

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I'm not usually one to send stuff out, but you have me intrigued. What does it run to have you take a look and what is the turn around time? I know you can't know what it will need, but just looking for a ballpark.

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 13:02 #6

• DEET
Your restoration would run $170 to $200
Depending on the work load, it would be 1 to 4 weeks.

You send in the stator, flywheel and ignition coil.

yamaha@nc.rr.com
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco

Yamaha@nc.rr.com

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
Last Edit: by DEET.

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 17:59 #7

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I may take you up on that if I don't stumble upon a solution here before too long. I like learning, and I like doing.

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 18:25 #8

• Capt.Dave
  • Collector
  • Collector
Taps use only yamaha parts, expensive but worth it.

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 18:37 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
It's hard to tell in the photo... condenser wiring looks odd... usually there is more than one wire soldered to the condenser...

Yours looks different? Blue wire soldered and hanging out in space?

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Another non-sparking dt2! 11 Jan 2018 18:37 #10

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
looks so good i think i'd just re-solder the condenser wires avoiding then accidentally touching the side & give the new looking points a light wipe with wet & dry paper & try again. set points at a tight 15 thou & wire it straight from the black out of the stator to the top coil & bet she sparks--it looks 'that good'. Of course i've been wrong before lol, so if no spark then come back for plan B. Ultra reliable system generaly. Primary coil--one on right looking at pic-- should have around 1.53 o hms. Ok i'll take some pics of the original workshop sheet from back in the day, but of course when i was there fixing them they never gave any ignition problems--now 45 years later we have to learn all over again.

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart