facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Found a new bike

Found a new bike 11 Oct 2017 06:07 #1

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Yes i am still coming here,just had nothing to report or anything of value to add to any posts.
So today i have bought a DT3 250 in metalic green. It's not here yet and won't be for a few weeks due to where the bike is and me having to go to work away from home.
It's a US spec bike and is registered on an age related UK plate. It's on the road and runs but has been parked up all summer.
It has a running problem.I haven't investigated anything as the bike isn't here,but sounds like a crank seal is leaking by what the previouse owner tells me.
The 175 is still accruing parts and the frame is ready for blasting.
Keep finding those hard to find bits but some still remain in the US and cost a bomb to get here unless they come from Texas for some strange reason.
So couldn't find a DT1 that was worth a punt so settled on this one as the price was £1850 for a complete original running ridable bike !
Here's the very bike

Thats not me by the way.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Giancarlo124, Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by shyted. Reason: Update

Found a new bike 11 Oct 2017 06:25 #2

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Great find it looks very clean. I don't recognize that rack. I wonder if it was custom made?

Last Edit: by Devin.

Found a new bike 11 Oct 2017 08:14 #3

• Pillsbury
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Looks like a nice survivor

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1973 Honda CR250
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700
1968 Honda CL90

Found a new bike 12 Oct 2017 07:59 #4

• shyted
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Quick question. Are the DT1 ,2,3 A B&C con rods virtually all the same ?

Found a new bike 12 Oct 2017 09:15 #5

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure on the 250's the con rod length was changed about 5mm when the reed valve was introduced on the DT2, so no.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Found a new bike 18 Oct 2017 00:25 #6

• shyted
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
As regards to the rod,it's the same as a 74 TY 250.Got the part number and went on a hunt.Found a crank pin,rod,thrust washer and bearing kit from Ratcliffe near Manchester for £55.00,NOS Yamaha.
For my 175 though,different story. Expensive from CMSNL ,in fact so much so,it was cheaper to get a kit from the US even with the postage and still have £50 change.
Think i'm going to convert the 250 to 12Volt and CDI as i'll be out and about over the winter.
Just had a message from the delivery driver.Clutch has gone on his van and he's been recovered to Carlisle.
No delivery today.

Found a new bike 13 Nov 2017 10:22 #7

• shyted
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Well , the 250 is here !
The bike has come from Great Falls , MONTANA . The name of the shop is still on the bike .
The bike then.It's kind of a bit of a tart. Good looking from a distance untill you see her close up and ralise she's okay for her age but a little rough around the edges . Nice shiney rear shocks,from China,and they will be off soon because they are pogoesque in operation and have little or no damping effect at all. Every cable is original,and cracked to hell ,but they all work ,esspecially after a bit off lube has been put down them.
The clutch was hard to pull in.Had a look at the adjuster mechanism. Just full of crap from the chain and full of old grease. Quick clean,removed the cable and lubed that ,removed the lever to find the pin half worn through but just lubed everything and there you go 80% better.
The tank had the mounting rubbers are missing. That couldn't have been a nice ride due to the clunking every time you hit a bump.
Top and bottom of it, it's a solid bike which needs a bit of TLC and rides quite well on the road.
Will post some pictures tomorrow . Oh yes, it holds back when you open the throttle unless you get the revs up,then it fairly flies,it's just pulling the beast up with the front brake, stop ,stop, STTTOOOPPP ,dab the back then it's like "WHOAAA". :likey

Dave.

Last Edit: by shyted.

Found a new bike 14 Nov 2017 03:43 #8

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Thanks for the update. Tis a bugger when they turn out a bit worse than expected but i'm sure you'll sort it well. Lube the clutch worm unless it's split as they do although grease will still help. New lubed cable, she'll be good. Loved that color too, emerald green or something. Exhaust sounds pretty loud, not they were ever super quiet like a road bike muffler. Spark arrestor might have been removed. Assembled these new at work in "73 but had a new DT2 in "72. ps, makes ya wonder why people waste their money on flash looking 'pogo shocks' but probably only ride them wollowing around town.

Found a new bike 14 Nov 2017 05:29 #9

• shyted
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Well here it is ,stickers and all.
I think the back shocks have a hinge as opposed to shock absorbing qualities. They realy are effing crap.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Found a new bike 14 Nov 2017 05:33 #10

• shyted
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
More more more!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart