facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Battery charging issues

10 Oct 2017 16:39 10 Oct 2017 18:51 by middlezg.
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #1
Alright, I've got my Carb/throttle issues worked out thanks to RT325. Now I'm having issues with charging my battery on my AT2. I charged the battery to 100% and ran it for 3-4 hours over 2 days.I hooked it up to my charger and it was at about 35% charge but still reading 12.5V. I hooked up a battery gauge up to the bike and ran it and it was reading 12.0-12.1 while riding. Does this indicate that its charging but just not enough? Could it be my battery? The brushes are new so i'm guessing the voltage regulator is where I should be focusing if not the battery. I haven't seen solid info on what my regulator points gaps should be or how to increase the output. Any pointers?

Thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2017 23:20
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Battery charging issues #2
All the AT2's down here were magneto ignition, obviously yours is 12volt electric start. If you put a volt meter across the battery then it should come up to about 14.5 volts at least--guessing a bit--but should realy hear it start charging just above idle but is about the same time the ignition advance opens up so might not be 'that' obvious but is like an electric brake. Sorry i've forgotten if we've talked this one before on your bike or did we just sort the carb?. If you have instruments & the charging red light goes out above idle & comes on at a slow idle or motor stopped but key on then you can pretty much guarantee it's charging. Just re-thinking & looking at your voltage i'd guess it's not charging at all--sorry to say. Others will be along & help out--or correct me if i'm wrong lol but all good. Back in the day the electric start models we did have never gave any trouble in the regulator & only wore out brushes.
The following user(s) said Thank You middlezg

11 Oct 2017 06:19
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #3
I think we spoke electrics on my dt125 but not on this one. I haven’t seen my charging light come on at all but I can’t guarantee it’s even working. I’ll recheck contnuity across the harness for now. Thanks

11 Oct 2017 11:22
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #4
I found a manual online and it appears that the the armature commutator may need to be sanded and the gaps cleaned out.

11 Oct 2017 14:40
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Battery charging issues #5

middlezg wrote: I found a manual online and it appears that the the armature commutator may need to be sanded and the gaps cleaned out.

Yes that's true & i used to scrape them out with an old hacksaw blade shaped to a bit of a slight hook, was a long time ago. They're pretty forgiving though & you'd be surprised how bad they can look but still work ok with new brushes giving good brush pressure on the springs because they're new & long. Chances are if the starter is working then the charging will be working too. Red light should be on with ignition if bulb ok etc & then go out when motor is started. Slow slow idle will bring it on but fast idle & it will still be out [or should be]. The plot thickens.

11 Oct 2017 17:12
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #6
Heres a before and after. Ill run it this week and see what I find

Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

11 Oct 2017 22:30
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Battery charging issues #7
Looking good. Was the starter working? while all this possible lack of charging was going on. Thanks.

12 Oct 2017 06:03
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #8
I actually had the electric start unplugged until today. I only hooked it back up after charging the battery fully and it’s working now. I was still able to kick it over with the low battery though. I’ll see the button still works after running for a few hours.

Thanks

12 Oct 2017 06:52
MarkT
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
Battery charging issues #9
The Tech library here has several manuals that detail the operation, testing, and adjustment of the AT charging system... if you don't have your problem solved.

Regulator info starts at about page 113 of this pdf:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...tory-workshop-manual

Here's more:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...at1-b-service-manual

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...-and-parts-catalogue

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/20...a-b-c-service-manual

System didn't change much and used on US 125 enduros from 69-76...

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

12 Oct 2017 17:16
middlezg
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Battery charging issues #10
Thanks! That manual was exactly what I needed to figure out how to test and adjust regulator.

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart