facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

LT2 New Petcock issues

10 Aug 2017 17:49
velocejoe
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
LT2 New Petcock issues #1
So I have a brand new petcock, but it was ordered by previous owner. Looks exactly the same as all others online for my bike. The problem is I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work. The "nut" has a shoulder inside for the rubber gasket...I get it, the gasket makes the seal between the threads on the tank and threads on the petcock. Threads on petcock are reverse...but problem is, there are no threads on the OTHER side of the nut, only on the side that threads onto the petcock.

I even tried to thread the nut onto the tank...no luck. Threads don't mesh. When I put the petcock threads right up against the tank threads....the petcock threads are definitely reversed and do not match the tank threads. They are the same size, but pitch is different.

I can only think that maybe the manufacturer sent the wrong nut with the petcock, or is there something I am missing? I cannot find ANYWHERE on the entire internet that has a breakdown/exploded diagram of ALL petcock components. I have the combined service/parts manual for Yamaha Enduros, but it really only shows CT bikes in exploded diagrams. I found an LT2 factory parts manual online, but they wanted like $60 for it. There are ZERO uploads of the LT2 FACTORY service or parts manuals online. It would really help if someone could upload or provide a source for the actual LT2 parts manual :)

Maybe there is some sort of filter with an external thread that I am missing, but nothing noted in any pictures of tanks, or petcocks on online sites with these items for sale notes the use of an extra filter. Does anyone have a video showing how to install this particular petcock on this particular bike? Man, why didn't they just make them all like the CT3 tank/petcock? Much easier. My only other option is to fabricate some sort of universal petcock adapter like they sell online with seal in the middle and threads on each side. I get it, thread nut onto tank tight against seal, then thread petcock into nut...but my nut is only threaded on one side.

I'll post pics if needed, and also, I cannot get alerts sent to my email to work. It says I have it turned on on my user panel, but I have to login to see responses :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2017 21:03
MarkT
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #2
CMSNL.com is the best and maybe only place for online parts schematics for the LT2/3

It sounds like you have a defective petcock. Threads on petcock are left hand... threads on tank fitting are right hand. This allows you to get the petcock tight and facing exactly the way you want it.

You should be able to find a petcock on ebay for around $10 shipped... one for a Yamaha YG1 will work. I think even the later monoshock DT125/175 uses the same style petcock.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

11 Aug 2017 19:46
velocejoe
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
LT2 New Petcock issues #3
I assume then the nut used for this particular union has to be threaded on both sides then, correct? I dont think the petcock i have is "defective," incorrect maybe? It is 100% brand new and looks just like every other one for sale for the lt2. Hoping someone can post a picture of their threaded nut to compare to mine.

11 Aug 2017 20:01
MarkT
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #4

velocejoe wrote: I assume then the nut used for this particular union has to be threaded on both sides then, correct? I dont think the petcock i have is "defective," incorrect maybe? It is 100% brand new and looks just like every other one for sale for the lt2. Hoping someone can post a picture of their threaded nut to compare to mine.

Flying blind here... only you can see what you have and what "every other one for sale for the lt2" look like. :)

Pics and/or links would help. :Buds

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

12 Aug 2017 03:15 12 Aug 2017 03:50 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #5
Sorry, just realised i've referred to it as the 'tap' or fuel tap as we call it down here-- not petcock. Same Horse!!.

Is it a manufacturing fault where there's no thread on the end of the nut should screws up on the tank. I'll get back--add break on a tv program lol.

Right then--incase i've understood it wrong, the nut is on the tap & the top half of the nut should wind up on the tank thread. Before you start you could set the nut so it's lightly touching the seal or Oring seal on the tap thread then wind tap complete with nut on the tank & when it buts up to the tank you can move the tap one way or the other to get it pointing where you want & tighten the nut reasonably tight to seal the Oring. Bit of a fiddle but not hard when you understand how it works with reverse thread on one half. But [back to the beginning] if no thread cut in the nut then your in trouble. Order another one, there is some cheap ones on ebay that should do the trick.

12 Aug 2017 17:46
JNichols
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #6
I've had this happen before, some of the Asian made petcocks are sent with the wrong threads on the tank bung nut. If you're familiar with plumbing fittings you might understand that you're tank bung threads are the "finer" threads and what they sent you is one with "courser" pipe threads.
The picture is of one I just received from Superstardirect, Miami, Fl., for $9.95 w/ free shipping.
I hope this was helpful to you.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

12 Aug 2017 17:49
JNichols
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #7
By the way, I found these on eBay.
The following user(s) said Thank You MarkT

17 Aug 2017 12:53
velocejoe
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
LT2 New Petcock issues #8
JNichols. Could you confirm threads run all the way through or show picture of threaed nut on your petcock? Just wanna see a picture of what i should be expecting

17 Aug 2017 17:04
JNichols
More
LT2 New Petcock issues #9
I've attempted to reply three times and each time I hit send it says forbidden, I'll try again later.

17 Aug 2017 17:23
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
This is a test
LT2 New Petcock issues #10

JNichols wrote: I've attempted to reply three times and each time I hit send it says forbidden, I'll try again later.

Not sure what is happening with that. If you were able to post the above, you are logged in and should be able to post.

:Buds A 50 Acre carbon Footprint in every Tankful! :Throttle

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart