facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Kick Start Shaft - no resistance

16 Jul 2017 18:31
deep6blue
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #1
I have a 73 LT3. I need to replace the kick start shaft as the current one is broken near the end where the splines are.

But the bigger issue when I attached a vice grip (I'm replacing it anyway) to the end, I can feel only the spring tension. I cannot feel any gear/transmission resistance. While I've got this all apart, what else should I look for?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2017 21:26 16 Jul 2017 21:27 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #2
Hi, well you're going to have to go in anyway, so [unless someone has removed the gears or one of the kickstart related gears]--- the most likely scenario is the friction clip has been misplaced when last apart. If it 'is' that then lean it way over towards you & try again with the grips. Gonna have it apart anyway but!!. LT3 pic is missing from Partzilla so here's a HT1 90cc--all relevant though--number 17, & doesn't engage up top like the pic shows but somewhere near the bottom & to one side of bottom. The friction clip ear engages in 'that' guiding slot to make the gear move sideways to engage with the intermediate gear. Something like that!!. Then again if it's not that then start again when in bits.

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Mo...T1BM/KICK/parts.html

17 Jul 2017 10:49
deep6blue
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #3
HOLY CRAP IT WORKED! I was able to turn the engine over!

That little clip must have been just a bit out of alignment. I'll be sure to inspect it good when I replace the shaft.

Thanks again!

18 Jul 2017 02:00 18 Jul 2017 02:07 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #4
Yep the clip will have totally missed the slot which is quite a common fault that happens on assembly if you're not familiar with how it works. Pic i'll try & load for a similar model shows the groove for the clip ear on the upper left by the kick shaft hole. Bit of a fiddle to get it all together & in the slot & might have to skid the clip around a bit to find the slot. Clip should hold quite tight to make the gear move out into mesh on its quick thread twisted spline whatever it's called.
Why it worked leaning it over is the gear just falls over that way under gravity & turning the shaft etc without the friction clip assisting. Only thing is on the return the gear will still be chattering against the side of the intermediate gear so if ya running it [push start] just lean it over to the other side. Should be ok until you fix it properly.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You deep6blue

03 Oct 2017 18:12
darinm
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #5
Sorry to bring this back up, as new to working on these I'll probably have far too many questions. I was having the same symptoms, yet mine was inconsistent. Took the cover off and pulled it out to see this; I'd assume I'll need a new gear and spring clip, my question is: is this how it should be installed? Just making sure not to be repeating the same mistake as I'm just following "assembly is the reverse of disassembly". Thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

04 Oct 2017 05:35
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #6
It looks ok in the pic but the clip ear is out of side around other side in pic. Does look a bit like something has been chewing at the edge of the clip groove though but maybe nothing to worry about. If the clip is a bit light in tension then either get a new one or flick it off & squeeze it up a bit & put it back on. I wonder if the clip ear had missed the locating slot in the case & can see it in the case pic above at about 11 oclock looking at it. Might pay to have a look at the gear it runs against if you can see it looks ok but chances are it's just clip misplacement. Ask away, plenty of help here.

04 Oct 2017 05:42
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #7
by the way it'll be a bit of a fiddle getting it back in as have to get it so the stop ends up round far enough then fight with the spring & align the clip ear with the slot--fun!! not. If it all turns to S$%t & still inconsistent in operation then might have to remove clutch & check the small gear on the back & eyeball how it meshes with the intermediate gear. Unlikely scenario though.

04 Oct 2017 05:50
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #8
damn it, just put me glasses on & saved the pic & expanded it up & there 'is' damage to the edge of the clip groove worse than i thought so question is what caused it. Need to determine that really. If the clip hadn't got off before then ya might be lucky to carry on as is.

04 Oct 2017 09:52
darinm
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #9
Yes, the edge of the clip groove is pretty bad (broken/chewed off) for 1/4 of the circumference, it was easy to slip the clip off by hand with almost no friction when held at a certain angle. I think they didn't align the spring with the slot and just forced it in, as the spring part of the clip is relatively flat compared to photos of others online. New used parts in the mail, thanks!

04 Oct 2017 16:21
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick Start Shaft - no resistance #10
yeah sorry to keep coming back--just have a good look around because it sort of looks 'gear chewed' but nothing comes close. Have seen the end of the gearbox shaft break off complete with intermediate gear but you'd sure know if that happened & dropped down there. Wouldn't be starting at all anyway. I'll leave it at that.

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart