facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Kick start doesn’t engage properly

18 Jun 2020 12:30
Largemouth21
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #1
When I kick down it seems like the gear on the kick starter shaft pushes the gear on the right away and prevents engagement. If I go super slow with my hand it will turn the engine over but if I kick with my foot as if to start it the gears just skip and nothing happens. Anyway to remove the play in that gear so it doesn’t “push away”?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2020 15:18 18 Jun 2020 18:10 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #2
Hi, guessing its the bike in your avatar so here's a link to an AT2 but they're all similar on those motors so 17 is a friction clip with an ear that fits in a guiding slot. If thats missed the slot last time the cover was off then the gear won't move out to engage. If it 'is' that then if you lean the bike over to the right as far as you can & still kick then it should hold once engaged. I might add that this is just a guess at this stage.
www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/50...c7847cb/kick-starter

18 Jun 2020 16:48
Largemouth21
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #3
Yes it is the bike in my avatar, here is a link to a video of the issue

18 Jun 2020 16:55
Largemouth21
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #4

RT325 wrote: Hi, guessing its the bike in your avatar so here's a link to an AT2 but they're all similar on those motors so 17 is a friction clip with an ear that fits in a guiding slot. If thats missed the slot lat time the cover was off then the gear won't move out to engage. If it 'is' that then if you lean the bike over to the right as far as you can & still kick then it should hold once engaged. I might add that this is just a guess at this stage.
www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/50...c7847cb/kick-starter

Also, where is that clip supposed to fit you said it can get misaligned when the case half is put back on. How do I ensure I put it back together properly?

18 Jun 2020 18:20 18 Jun 2020 18:21 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #5
From your video if i slow it down it looks like the gear is moving out as it should so i'm guessing it goes back out of mesh when the lever returns. But--i'm wondering about 15 retained by 14 & is that bit broken & the hear is coming out too far & going past the intermediate gear above it. Otherwise might have to remove the clutch & check the small gear behind it which is the last gear in the system that finally turns the motor. The clip with the bent ear goes into a fairly obvious slot & without having a pic to view it should be at about 9 0clock if you look at it from the kick shaft angle--looking straight in. That clip puts tension on gear 16 to make it move out the twisted spline its on.

18 Jun 2020 18:26
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #6
Heres a random pic of the same style case & the slot is more at 11 Oclock

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

19 Jun 2020 19:53
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #7

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2006 Yamaha XT225
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

19 Jun 2020 21:43
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #8
Nice that you posted a video.... but you're jerking the lever around so fast I can't see what's happening. (I'm not as smart as RT325... don't know how to slow it down)

Gear looks awfully loose but could just be the quick movement. If I remember, I will take a picture tomorrow morning on how it goes together and what it should look like.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

21 Jun 2020 13:39
Largemouth21
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #9
I think you’re right, it seems to be very loose I can wiggle it around with my finger. It seems like it just pushes it away and prevents meshing of the gears. The lever pops back up fine and is consistent so I think that part is still ok...

21 Jun 2020 13:47
Largemouth21
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Kick start doesn’t engage properly #10

RT325 wrote: From your video if i slow it down it looks like the gear is moving out as it should so i'm guessing it goes back out of mesh when the lever returns. But--i'm wondering about 15 retained by 14 & is that bit broken & the hear is coming out too far & going past the intermediate gear above it. Otherwise might have to remove the clutch & check the small gear behind it which is the last gear in the system that finally turns the motor. The clip with the bent ear goes into a fairly obvious slot & without having a pic to view it should be at about 9 0clock if you look at it from the kick shaft angle--looking straight in. That clip puts tension on gear 16 to make it move out the twisted spline its on.

I get what you’re saying but from what I can tell they’re still lined up, but there’s enough play in that gear it is pushed away from the gear on the kick start shaft if any amount of force is applied

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart