facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Rear Shocks?

24 Feb 2020 12:45
RT3Sam
More
Topic Author
Rear Shocks? #1
Does anyone know if the rear shocks on a 1973 RT3 can be rebuilt? If not what replacement shock would guys recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2020 17:41
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Rear Shocks? #2
Answer--No to first question. Second question someone else can answer as i just use what i have. Cheers.
ps just get the right length & no shorter. Also don't need 'very hard' 'damping' like forward mounted shocks have due to the leverage of the S/arm. I used to have 'Gas Girling' shocks which came in soft medium & hard. Soft was ok. Medium if i was doing vmx. But hard was so stiff it didn't move unless they were moved way forward along the arm [which i did on my vmx RT2 to get long travel movement].
Something like this could be ok but looking at the pic the eyes have no sleeve for the bolt to squeeze up to. Add is slightly misleading as with those eye rubbers they'll fit on mounts sticking out with a big washer & dome nut holding them on--Anyway!!--starting point.

25 Feb 2020 04:21
RT3Sam
More
Topic Author
Rear Shocks? #3

RT325 wrote: Answer--No to first question. Second question someone else can answer as i just use what i have. Cheers.
ps just get the right length & no shorter. Also don't need 'very hard' 'damping' like forward mounted shocks have due to the leverage of the S/arm. I used to have 'Gas Girling' shocks which came in soft medium & hard. Soft was ok. Medium if i was doing vmx. But hard was so stiff it didn't move unless they were moved way forward along the arm [which i did on my vmx RT2 to get long travel movement].
Something like this could be ok but looking at the pic the eyes have no sleeve for the bolt to squeeze up to. Add is slightly misleading as with those eye rubbers they'll fit on mounts sticking out with a big washer & dome nut holding them on--Anyway!!--starting point.

Thanks RT325. I'm only looking to run back roads and adventure rides on my RT3, so soft might be ok for me.

25 Feb 2020 10:29
mike8162
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Rear Shocks? #4
I put the Red Wings on my DT3 and my RT1B. The coils are larger and will interfere with the exhaust pipe. This was an easy fix. I used a large socket and a dead blow hammer to put a small angled indentation in the pipe. Don't know if I will have to do this on my RT because I have not made it that far in the assembly process but I presume I will have to.

Cheers

25 Feb 2020 11:12
RT3Sam
More
Topic Author
Rear Shocks? #5

mike8162 wrote: I put the Red Wings on my DT3 and my RT1B. The coils are larger and will interfere with the exhaust pipe. This was an easy fix. I used a large socket and a dead blow hammer to put a small angled indentation in the pipe. Don't know if I will have to do this on my RT because I have not made it that far in the assembly process but I presume I will have to.

Cheers

Where did you purchase your Red Wing Shocks?

25 Feb 2020 12:45 25 Feb 2020 12:57 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Rear Shocks? #6
I have Red Wings on my RT2 and 250A. Good for dirt / gravel forest service type roads that I ride. The pair on my 250A are 15 (?) Years old and still look and work good. I bought both pair off ebay. :likey

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

25 Feb 2020 15:52
mike8162
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Rear Shocks? #7
Bought mine off ebay as well. I have been real happy with them.
The following user(s) Liked this Post RT3Sam

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart