facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle

06 Dec 2019 12:21
joh99033
More
Topic Author
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #1
Hello All,

I recently acquired my first Enduro (73 DT250) and have been stumbling through trying to get all of the electricals sorted out. The previous owner had removed the taillight and all of the indicators many years ago. I've now installed and wired new indicators, tail light assembly + bulb, headlight assembly + bulb, and am now discovering that many of these systems are not working. Full disclosure that I have never understood electricals or schismatics. To me they could just as easily be Egyptian hieroglyphs. So very likely the electrical system is not working because of my electrical incompetence.

So, at this juncture I thought I would reach out to the illustrious community and see if one of you lives in the Seattle area. If anyone in the area who understands how to wire and diagnose electrical issues would be willing to meet up with me to take a look over the bike, I would be in your debt. I might even be willing to throw in a few beers and some pizza to sweeten the deal.

Kindly,
Christian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Dec 2019 13:21
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #2
Welcome!

One thing to know is that you have two systems... most of the lights run off the battery. the exception is the headlight so you need to start the engine to see if it's working.

If you can't find someone local... feel free to post questions here... if you can include pictures there's a very good chance the great people here can help you figure it out.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post joh99033

06 Dec 2019 19:42
joh99033
More
Topic Author
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #3
Thanks @markt! I will be sure to reach out with photos and more details as I get to each system. Today I ordered a 6V regulator which i'll be excited to figure out how to install. I've already blown out a few bulbs in my troubleshooting efforts. Hopefully installing a non OEM regulator will solve that problem.

I think I may also need to get a new flasher relay as my signals simply turn on solid when actuating the indicator switch. Fun stuff.

Thanks,
Christian

08 Dec 2019 00:53
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #4
Greetings from the UK Christian!

If you haven't done so already, just make sure that your battery is fully charged.

For the indicators, just check that the wattage on your indicator bulbs matches what it says on the side of the flasher relay casing (for example 6v 21w x 2 + 3.4). This would mean 6v 21w bulbs in the flashers and 6v 3.4w bulb in the warning light in the tacho.

I have a similar issue with the flasher relay on my RD350, but I get a constant buzzing noise as well as the flashers staying on!

As MarkT says, the rear lights, flashers and horn should work off the battery without the engine running.

Good luck and keep us updated on progress.

08 Dec 2019 07:19
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #5
Which "non-OEM" regulator did you order? Unfortunately, only a few are known to work properly.

On the signals staying on and not flashing, the OEM flasher units are load sensitive. If you aren't using the equivalent to the 6 volt OEM signal bulbs or if both front and rear lights are not connected, they won't flash. The flashers do go bad too though.

Seller Pobit on ebay has a replacement kit with a modern two-wire flasher that has been reported to work very well.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

09 Dec 2019 10:43
joh99033
More
Topic Author
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #6
@Gr8uncleal and MarkT,

Thank you guys for your guidance. Much appreciated. MarkT the regulator that I purchased actually ended up being a Yamaha part. It's from a 1976 XT500. The assembly number is 1E6-81910-62. Once that arrives (tomorrow I hope) in the mail I'll need a little guidance to figure out how/where/and what wire to mount it on. The unit only has one yellow wire coming off of it so I'm not exactly sure how to ground it.

Gr8uncleal, thank you for your tips on getting the correct bulbs, as well as making sure the battery is fully charged. I pulled the trigger and ordered myself a 6V battery charger.

I'm waiting on a number of parts now but soon will be able to do a second round of troubleshooting.

09 Dec 2019 11:00
TerryM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #7

joh99033 wrote: I'll need a little guidance to figure out how/where/and what wire to mount it on. The unit only has one yellow wire coming off of it so I'm not exactly sure how to ground it.

A one-wire regulator needs to be mounted on a clean (shiny, paint & powder coat free) surface that is grounded, usually to the frame or someplace similar. MANY years ago, when I had one added to my first 1974 DT250A, the Suzuki dealer that did it mounted it to the airbox cover under the right side plastic cover under the oil tank and tapped it into a line in that area. The Yamaha service bulletin that is posted somewhere in the tech section here will tell you to mount it to the headlight shell, if I remember correctly. I imagine that as long as you are tapping into the correct segment of the correct circuit and the regulator is properly grounded, it really doesn't make much difference exactly where you do it.

I was going to take a picture of the regulator on my current DT250A, but I'm in the middle of moving everything in the garage around and getting rid of a bunch of junk (and junque, as well!) and the bike is currently at the bottom of a pile.

09 Dec 2019 12:11 09 Dec 2019 12:18 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #8
Christian

Yamaha's official bulletin on regulators is attached (it is also available for download in the Tech library here).

I shall probably mount mine on a bracket which I shall bolt to the bottom yoke (lowest part of the triple tree). However, as TerryM says, you can mount it more or less wherever you want, just so long as it is earthed properly - just bear in mind that, the further away from the headlight bucket it is, the longer the wiring needed.

Edit - didn't like my pdf, so link to Tech Library attached instead.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
The following user(s) Liked this Post Pedalcrazy

09 Dec 2019 14:56
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #9
For a single wire regulator this is the type of thing you're looking for & this one looks like a bit of a bargain. [bulb saving & overcharging AC regulator.
www.treatland.tv/yamaha-FS1-6V-regulator...fs1-6v-regulator.htm

10 Dec 2019 21:09
joh99033
More
Topic Author
Electrical Help for a Noob in Seattle #10
I made some progress on the bike tonight which is encouraging for all of humanity.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to connect my regulator. The instructions which @Gr8uncleal kindly linked me to indicate that I need to connect the yellow/white wire from the regulator to the dark blue wire in the headlight bucket. The problem is that I don't see this dark blue wire referenced in the instructions. Call me nutty but I'm beginning to believe that my bike may have been tampered with by one of those elf on the shelves. It's a long story but suffice it to say that I accidentally bumped our elf as I was bringing groceries into the house. Be gentle Santa.

Ok back to the regulator. I did manage to document my inner headlamp which I'll attach below. I would be very interested to hear if anyone knows which wire is the correct one.

Thanks all,
Christian

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart