facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

RT2/3 piston and rings for cylinder 82,25mm and 81,25mm

27 Nov 2019 02:34 27 Nov 2019 03:28 by Twister.
Twister
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
RT2/3 piston and rings for cylinder 82,25mm and 81,25mm #1
Guten Morgen aus Deutschland,

with the super help of Franjo from the forum I am currently overhauling my engine of the RT3. I have several cylinders and pistons but also several problems:

- 1st piston is 80.99mm but with cylinder abouve the tolarance measure - is there any Yamaha or Wiseco piston to fit 81.25mm bore cylinder?
- 2nd piston is 81.88mm (!), also abouve tolarance - anybody know about a piston to fit a 82.25mm bore cylinder?
- 3rd cylinder is a NOS - that is not a problem :-) But there is a problem with the piston and rings that came with the cylinder. The L-Ring is not fitting right and will stick in the piston. Are there differences in the shape of the L-Rings? As I learned from Franjo, there are 2 different borings of the NOS cylinders. I have the smaller bore - if this information matters.

I didn't really want to install the NOS cylinder, but if I can't find pistons and rings for the 1st or 2nd cylinder, then there's nothing else left for me. But because I have a problem with the rings in the NOS cylinder, i can fall back on an original piston from Jo, which is however designed for the larger original size, so i still have to work on the cylinder.
The better choice for me would be a a fresh bore and a set of pistons and rings for the 1st or 2nd cylinder. Unfortunately I don't know a solution for the sizes that go far beyond the 3rd over. Anybody got an idea?

Thanks for sharing!

//Kai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Nov 2019 03:18
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
RT2/3 piston and rings for cylinder 82,25mm and 81,25mm #2
I run a 2X5 82mm piston kit in one of my RT2 or RT3's i had that i've since sold. I've got an 82.25 kit ready to go for one of mine also for safety they need about 5mm off the skirt although i forgot to do it on the last one. I've done a couple of mine over the years. At bdc the skirt gets pretty close to the crank. The one i forgot to shorten must still be going or i'd have heard for sure. They have the YZ cut away on the inlet side & the top of the cutaway is by memory about level with the windows of the RT piston. Probably go better with a boost hole high up on the skirt--think i might've done that. Anyway, is a "79 YZ400F as they longstoked that one year as 400's are normaly 85mm so long stroke & 82mm bore--great model & had one new in "79. Link below for partzilla says unavailable unfortunately. Other ebay link is a 0.75 so you can have a look at least. But probably 0.25 kits on ebay somewhere. Might be other aftermarket kits out there like Wiseco etc.
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2X5-11630-10-00

27 Nov 2019 03:21
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
RT2/3 piston and rings for cylinder 82,25mm and 81,25mm #3
Just saw the price haha. Think i'd keep looking. When i bought mine many years ago they were dirt cheap so i bought them just to see if they'd fit & match up.

02 Dec 2019 07:52
Twister
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
RT2/3 piston and rings for cylinder 82,25mm and 81,25mm #4
Thank you very much RT325, this could be an option, even if it doesn't seem cheap.
Anybody else have an idea?

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart