facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT3 Slight shake at road speed

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 09 Sep 2019 16:19 #1

• PigDoc
  • PigDoc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
I took my DT3 out on the highway yesterday for the first time. So I was going 50 mph. What I noticed was a bit of shake really in the front. It wasn't terrible but noticeable. My question. I replaced the shock seals. The job went smoothly. The cylinders are perfect. I did replace the fluid with 30 wt. oil. It is more stiff than it was before, although I never drove the bike at road speed before I replaced the seals. I bought the bike and it was the first thing I did. The old ones were pretty leaky. The other note is that the tires appear new. They are Dunlop universal type treads. There is no evidence of any weights but on my new DT1 in 1971, I don't recall anything on the spokes or rims when I got it. But I was 16! So balance, shock oil weight...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 09 Sep 2019 17:58 #2

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I'm guessing your front wheel needs to be balanced. If you have the one rim lock on the front wheel, that will throw the wheel out of balance and you can really feel it at 45+ mph.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, liferbiker

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 09 Sep 2019 21:14 #3

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
I wondered the same thing as my wheel always drops to tirelock. You could put some weight 180 degrees from the lock just enough so it drops randomly. While spinning tire, make sure its round, maybe sat along time & developed a "flat spot". If thats the case, I can tell you a few methods to try.

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 10 Sep 2019 06:14 #4

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
This is what I did on my RT. When I first bought my XT and replaced the old tires, I noticed the wheel weights and the location in relation to the rim lock and valve stem. I left the weights on, and installed new tires and all was good, no sign of out of balance at highway speed.

After putting new tires on my RT it was obvious I had a front wheel out of balance once I got up to 45mph. So on the XT the wheel weights were on the forth and fifth spoke from valve stem, on the side furthest from rim lock. So I did the same on my RT. I started adding 1/4 stick on weights between the fourth and fifth spoke. I've added two weights and it's much, much better. Not prefect but close enough for me.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 10 Sep 2019 13:38 #5

• Swoop56
  • Collector
  • Collector
Motion Pro do a lightweight aluminium rim lock , which is noticeably lighter
than stock unit . You then won't have to use as many weights to balance .
When I replaced the front tyre on my DT1 , I also replaced the rim lock
with a stock type . I has to use a humungous amount of weights to balance
the wheel . Next time I'm in there , I'll fit a Motion Pro unit .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DTfan, KennyV

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 11 Sep 2019 07:05 #6

• Don Dieago
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I balance all my wheels and they are always out. my last one took 3.5 oz to balance. you can make a get buy balancer with a old swingarm You can do a semi decent job by jacking up bike and loosening up axle and do it on bike. You can get decent spoke weights off ebay or amazon but not cheep! you can get stick on cheep at harbor freight too. Im sure some will disagree but if you just drive on road and dont drive hard You dont need a rim lock at all. Removed One on my 400 rear only running one and haven't slipped a tire and I ride hard wheelie ever chance I get and sling gravel all day long. Now if I had a very aggressive knobby I would put it back on. front I not worried at all especially with a mild trials tire but without you have a goofey empty hole in rim

Last Edit: by Don Dieago.

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 18 Sep 2019 05:24 #7

• DTfan
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Hi Swoop56, can you let me know which one you bought, looks like there are a few options on their site?

DT3 Slight shake at road speed 18 Sep 2019 08:04 #8

• Swoop56
  • Collector
  • Collector
I wound up buying a Motion Pro Lite Lock 1.6 p/n 11-0058 ,
I haven't actually fitted it yet , but I figured being lighter than stock type ,
I won't have to use half the world's lead reserves to balance the wheel .
To be fair , I underestimated the weight of the rim lock , and put the tyre
splice by it , rather than back by the valve , making the imbalance worse .

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart