facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1969 AT-1 timing

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 16:31 #1

• Dfeustel
  • Dfeustel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
I just rescued this very nice barn find. No spark. The ignition system looks very different than what I am used to with my other three enduros. They all have a flywheel when you take the cover off. The AT does not have a visable flywheel.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 17:36 #2

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Nice find. It looks like a 1970 model. The 1969 model was peral white. The vin sticker has a date of 1969 because it was made a year earlier in Japan to be ready for sale in 1970. This model is 12 volt and has a generator for electric start, which requires a battery. The tech library has lots of information about this model. Also lots of information here on the forum. Here is the link to the vin chart.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/125-cc-vin-numbers

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 17:51 #3

• Dfeustel
  • Novice
  • Novice
Thanks Devin. The kid I bought from did a bit of work to it, and had a mechanic get it running. The kid put a “new” (Chinese) carb on it, due to the original was draining gas “all over”. I did get the original carb from him and will check the floats. He said he got it back from the “mechanic” and rode up and down the drive way a little and it just quit running. It does have a “new” battery which read 6.5. I have it on the charger now

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 18:14 #4

• Midlife Motor
  • Novice
  • Novice
Work with the old original carb, not the Chinese one. Lots of help here to give you guidance on it. Clean it, then clean it again and again. Leaking carb is prob just float or more than likely float needle. Nice fine.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 18:18 #5

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Good thing you have the original carb. It will run great once cleaned up. The drainage of fuel is just as you suspected (float height) or worn/dirty float needle.

The bike is a 12 volt system, so if you have 6.5 volts, you either have the wrong battery, or it's only half way charged . . . . It will never run without a good fully charged 12v battery. Hopefully you have the correct battery, and it just needs to be charged.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut

Last Edit: by Enduronut.

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 18:24 #6

• Dfeustel
  • Novice
  • Novice
Is it just me, or is it weird that a 1969 is a 12 volt and my 1973 DT 250 is a 6 volt?

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 19:00 #7

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
All of the USA enduros were 6 volt except the 125. In 1978 and later the 125 went to 6 volt.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dfeustel

1969 AT-1 timing 10 Jun 2018 19:56 #8

• Dfeustel
  • Novice
  • Novice
It is a 12 volt. The reading was 6.5. Up to 11.58 after about 30 minutes of charging so far. I will try to start it again when it gets above 12.3

1969 AT-1 timing 11 Jun 2018 01:16 #9

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Good old bikes. Might pay to kick start it if the battery only comes up to a [not sure what ya call it] a surface charge of 12+ but no guts for electric start--unless you're confidant it's right up. It'll go on the kick & generator will take over. We had both 6 & 12 volt here [nz] !2's were popular for farmers. It knocked the pony power a bit but was a good bike. The generator is like an electric brake & if ya playing around with the regulator cover off & pull lightly against the charging arm you can damn near stop the motor when its just above idle where the charging starts as voltage goes off the scale. Ok not recommending this, just another thing i should be shot for experimenting with lol. I had [still have] the magneto version AT1 with the pearl white tank [pearl rust in my case].
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dfeustel

1969 AT-1 timing 11 Jun 2018 20:16 #10

• Dfeustel
  • Novice
  • Novice
Now I have spark and a “cough” from the exhaust. The electric start did turn it over well. I used the kick start most of the time. Only one or two times it sounding like it was going start. This is all with the non OEM carburetor. Currently cleaning original carb and will try again with it installed to its rightful place

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart