facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '68 DT1 Clear Coating

'68 DT1 Clear Coating 16 Apr 2018 04:08 #1

• RT1
  • RT1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Good Morning All -
A few of you (from the "other" site) may remember that about two years ago I lucked into a very complete '68 DT1 that could've been the poster pic of a barn find. 25+ yrs. of dirt, grim, cobwebs and a couple of mud wasp nests.
I've been restoring it bit by bit and am now at the point of painting.
My question here has nothing to do with the use and placement of the proper colors. It's all about the clear coat.
Please note that paint & clear coat will be auto paint store mixed and professionally sprayed. There will be no spray can applied materials to the fenders and tanks.
I'm looking for fact based opinions from those of you that worked with '68 DT1's way back in the day, have owned them, do own them, have done higher end restorations on them.
Without a visual model, I'm concerned about getting the level of gloss on the tanks & fenders to the correct level.
I'm sure that in 1968 the clear coat (if any at all) did not shine anywhere's near the level we're all accustomed to seeing in today's world.
And, should the fenders be less glossy than the tanks? Or, the same?
I'll eventually post pics of the full restoration journey, but for now I've got to keep moving forward to get her finished up.
Looking forward to your responses.
Thank you
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KJB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1971 RT1
1971 JT1 (x2)
1968 DT1
1972 AT2
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat
and a couple of others nobody here would care about
Last Edit: by RT1. Reason: AFTER THOUGHT

'68 DT1 Clear Coating 16 Apr 2018 06:42 #2

• SlowPoke
  • Collector
  • Collector
My feeling is this: use a modern clear then wet sand with 2000 grt paper or knock it down with an aggressive polishing compound. Then buff things out to the level of gloss you feel is “historically correct” but honestly, unless you find the exact product and apply it the exact way they did you will never hope to get things exactly the same. I don’t think that kind of environmentally damaging paint exists anymore. Just my opinion. I’m sure there are professional painters/restorers on this site who know much better than me. And by the way, there is no reason you can’t achieve a better finish than a shop using a 2K rattle can clear.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Midlife Motor, Pillsbury

"Creativity without control is merely chaos"
1977 DT250
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2018 WR250R
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass

'68 DT1 Clear Coating 16 Apr 2018 16:17 #3

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I think that I might have your bike's "younger sister"........

RT1 wrote: Good Morning All -
A few of you (from the "other" site) may remember that about two years ago I lucked into a very complete '68 DT1 that could've been the poster pic of a barn find. 25+ yrs. of dirt, grim, cobwebs and a couple of mud wasp nests.
I've been restoring it bit by bit and am now at the point of painting.
My question here has nothing to do with the use and placement of the proper colors. It's all about the clear coat.
Please note that paint & clear coat will be auto paint store mixed and professionally sprayed. There will be no spray can applied materials to the fenders and tanks.
I'm looking for fact based opinions from those of you that worked with '68 DT1's way back in the day, have owned them, do own them, have done higher end restorations on them.
Without a visual model, I'm concerned about getting the level of gloss on the tanks & fenders to the correct level.
I'm sure that in 1968 the clear coat (if any at all) did not shine anywhere's near the level we're all accustomed to seeing in today's world.
And, should the fenders be less glossy than the tanks? Or, the same?
I'll eventually post pics of the full restoration journey, but for now I've got to keep moving forward to get her finished up.
Looking forward to your responses.
Thank you

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT1

KB ( Australia)

'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50

Last Edit: by KJB.

'68 DT1 Clear Coating 17 Apr 2018 07:42 #4

• RT1
  • RT1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro

SlowPoke wrote: My feeling is this: use a modern clear then wet sand with 2000 grt paper or knock it down with an aggressive polishing compound. Then buff things out to the level of gloss you feel is “historically correct” but honestly, unless you find the exact product and apply it the exact way they did you will never hope to get things exactly the same. I don’t think that kind of environmentally damaging paint exists anymore. Just my opinion. I’m sure there are professional painters/restorers on this site who know much better than me. And by the way, there is no reason you can’t achieve a better finish than a shop using a 2K rattle can clear/quote]

Thank you Slowpoke -
I realize I can "adjust the level of sheen by sanding & buffing. I am trying to avoid - unless absolutely necessary - relying on my opinion of what is "historically accurate". That's why I'm hoping for some fact based opinions from those that have direct knowledge of the '68 DT1's. It's true that we can't duplicate the original processes, but I'm sure I can get a lot closer with some input from those intimately familiar with the '68 DT1's. These bikes have been getting restored for years. Perhaps there's a generally accepted "rule of thumb" that such and such mfg's. semi gloss is good for the fenders but use so and so's gloss on the tank? Or, conversely, there are folks out there that have good examples of all original bikes that can offer information on whether fenders and tanks have equal level of gloss, their opinion on whether or not the gloss is far less than what's being done today (my suspicion), etc. I'm on a quest of information gathering.

BTW - I like the Maple Leaf tank!

1971 RT1
1971 JT1 (x2)
1968 DT1
1972 AT2
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat
and a couple of others nobody here would care about
Last Edit: by RT1. Reason: pics
  • Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart