facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
13 Jul 2018
I have re-enabled Tapatalk and will try to keep it functional assuming they keep the plug in updated. You can get the mobile app at: www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gaskets and reassembly?

Gaskets and reassembly? 12 Jan 2018 17:31 #1

• 69DT-1250
  • 69DT-1250's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I'm going to be putting the cylinder back on a dt1 engine and just wondering if there is anything special I need to do to the base gasket? Does it go on dry? And the crankcase right hand cover gasket? Dry?

Thanks,
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gaskets and reassembly? 12 Jan 2018 17:43 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
i just grease them so they'll come off easier next time. never had a problem. Off course if your cases are dodgy then my ideas would change. I also grease the head gasket to let it move a bit during the tightening process.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut

Gaskets and reassembly? 12 Jan 2018 17:55 #3

• 69DT-1250
  • 69DT-1250's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Ok thank you! Is there a way to clean the base gasket surfaces good without a case splitting or removing the studs? I'm still learning about these things.

Gaskets and reassembly? 12 Jan 2018 19:57 #4

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
I just get a dedicated gasket scraper and go over the surface squarely and evenly to avoid gouging.. You want to hold the tool at an angle. Remember chemicals are your friend, so if you are fighting removing the gasket, it is wise to get some gasket remover. And on the cases you need to be extra careful. That thin gasket surface is difficult to do because if the blade is not square to the surface it will gouge. Try a plastic or copper blade if it will work, such as old piece of copper head gasket material. If you leave the studs in make sure there is not one shred of gasket left around them. It is easy to miss. A scotch brite pad is helpful to clean the muck. You will need to protect the crank area with a rag stuffed in there. Gasket remover will remove paint so apply accordingly.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 69DT-1250

Last Edit: by FrankC.
  • Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart