facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: 71 RT1 sits for years.

71 RT1 sits for years. 10 May 2017 02:19 #11

• Justind511
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I believe that blue wire is routed wrong also
The following user(s) Liked this Post: jimmy314

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

71 RT1 sits for years. 10 May 2017 06:48 #12

• jimmy314
  • jimmy314's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks Justin, I have tried that and no luck. The slot is starting to strip and the driver now slips. A little bit of tight quarters to get into with anything else. I need to check a wiring diagram on that blue wire. Was told it ran when it was parked 20 years ago, but you never know.

Last Edit: by jimmy314.

71 RT1 sits for years. 10 May 2017 18:56 #13

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Easy way--Leave it assembled--considering possible outcome with screws--waterblast in there and get it as clean as practical, plus the flywheel. Give the points a scratch while in place & guarantee she will spark [good old magneto ignition]. If you want to bypass the wiring loom for any reason just hook the black from the mag loom straight to the main coil under the tank. Just have some way to avoid disasters like [oh bugger she's stuck on full throttle]. Hook a rope around the plug cap so you can hook it off. That's getting carried away though & 'just saying'.

71 RT1 sits for years. 10 May 2017 21:04 #14

• Steve F
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Have you tried using a penetrating oil at all on coroded screws/bolts?
I used a product called PB Blaster with a fair amount of success. Only had one bolt twist off.
In some cases I had to treat the bolt/screw for a couple of days, before attempting to remove.

just a pic of what I had to deal with, for ref.
Attachments:

1974 DT250A, his
1974 DT250A, hers
1974 GT80A
1978 IT175E
1978 IT175E No. 332 -SOLD
"Is everything connected properly?"

71 RT1 sits for years. 11 May 2017 04:54 #15

• jimmy314
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I have been soaking with WD-40, but am switching to Kroil. Thanks. I like the idea of leaving it and cleaning it up, cleaning points then give it a try. Perhaps it will spark. Thanks for suggesting!

71 RT1 sits for years. 12 May 2017 10:40 #16

• inkaddict92
  • Novice
  • Novice
It'll be a lot easier to remove the stator if you pull the engine and lay it on it's side. Being able to apply a large amount of force inline with the torque you are applying is key. Like everyone said, get it as clean as possible so the penetrating oil can seep through and give the oil time to get in there. If the screws are too stripped from hitting it with an impact driver, then take a chisel and a hammer and hit the edge of the head of the screw to try and rotate it counterclockwise. Also try hitting the screws head on with a drift and hammer to try and free up some rust.

71 RT1 sits for years. 12 May 2017 11:16 #17

• lima
May not be helpful but restoring my JT1's I used to have problems stripping old Yamaha "Phillips" head screws. I discovered I was using the wrong kind of screwdriver! The Japanese have a slightly different style of Phillips head screw standard called JIS 1, 2, and 3. (Japanese Industrial Standards). If you use a North American Phillips on a JIS screw and really crank it, it cam's the driver up and out wrecking the screw head. I got one of these proper tools from Japan and had to replace a lot fewer screws. no longer need much downward pressure to hold it in leaving more pressure for firm rotational torque:

Proper tool:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E55DL4I/ref...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

About JIS
www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdriv...ew-all-products.html
www.dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm

If the screw is completely messed and still won't budge, you could carefully slice a new standard head slot with a Dremel disk, apply a bit of heat with a pencil tip torch to the case around the screw and gently get it started. Heat the area around the screw not the screw so it does not loose temper.

Last Edit: by lima.

71 RT1 sits for years. 14 May 2017 15:17 #18

• jimmy314
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
All good info on this issue. I took the advice of RT325 and gave it a good clean job and cleaned the points well and I have spark. A little starter fluid and it wanted to fire. Hope to get the tank back on soon and try it with some fuel.

Thanks again for all the advice. Ill keep you posted.

71 RT1 sits for years. 12 Sep 2019 11:43 #19

• jimmy314
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
It has been a couple years and back trying to get this ft-1 running. Spark good but believe carb is not. Is one still able to buy a rebuilt or new carb for this bike?

71 RT1 sits for years. 13 Sep 2019 00:22 #20

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
The whole carb will only be available second hand or new old stock (nos). You might come across new replicas of dubious quality though.

The various jets, seals and gaskets should still be available new though. The general consensus is you are ok to use seals and gaskets from the rebuild kits, but use genuine Mikuni jets.

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart