facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

AT1 battery sparking

22 May 2020 21:28
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
AT1 battery sparking #1
Not long after getting my 71' AT1c running and dialed in I came across a yellow 1970 for a couple hundred bucks and snagged it even though the kicker was locked up. I got it free'd up in an evening & started moving on to spark, fuel flow, the usual. The battery in it was exploded and old so I pulled the good one out of my 71 to see if I had lights, etc. Positive first, then the ground and when I touched the ground wire to the frame bolt it sparked...like alot. I tried a few things but it continues to do it and it's not just a quick catch your attention spark that goes away it SPARKS and continues. Checked for obvious stuff and came to no conclusion. In the process I noticed a loose connection at the starter solenoid nut. Tightened it, no change. I then compare the solenoid wiring to my other AT1 and the connections are opposite on that bike to the 2 poles on the solenoid. Would that screw things up reversing things or does it not matter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2020 01:19 23 May 2020 04:53 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
AT1 battery sparking #2
Don't have a specific answer but, if it's possible, switch the two solenoid connections back over and see what happens.

23 May 2020 04:46 23 May 2020 04:50 by DaveHunter. Reason: Make clearer
DaveHunter
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
AT1 battery sparking #3
I’ve know of two people people that had a battery explode and both got acid in the face.
A safe way to check for shorts is to wire a 12volt lightbulb in series with the main power supply. One lead to the positive of battery and the other to the the wire that would normally hook to positive terminal. The bulb will light up because there is a short somewhere, then you can start unhooking connections until bulb goes out
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, Swoop56, Snglsmkr

23 May 2020 14:54
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
AT1 battery sparking #4
SOLVED! The wiring on solenoid was backwards, still not sure if that reverses polarity or whatever but the black ground from harness was also stacked on the left solenoid post instead of to frame ground. Got lights, hi and low, taillight and brake light too after fixing a broken ground in the housing. On to spark, should run soon. Primary coil tested great so either plug cap, or dirty points.
The following user(s) Liked this Post mdscott

23 May 2020 15:41
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
AT1 battery sparking #5
Great job! :likey

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post Bbd83

23 May 2020 15:55
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
AT1 battery sparking #6
Yes i second 'that' great job. No wonder the battery exploded--gosh. Saw that happen in a car yard in the fading light of day & a portable battery bank which blew the the battery apart. Hell of a mess & got the operator who then ran for the nearest hose. Take care.

23 May 2020 21:47
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
AT1 battery sparking #7
Real happy I got that sorted out along with my headlight & taillight. The no spark was dirty points, filed those down and got nice spark. Got fuel flow in order, checked main jet since it's easy to get to and went for a start. 2 million kicks and nothing. Then took carb apart, float height was perfect, 25.5 mm, didn't wanna take the pilot jet out with the screwdriver I had and risk stripping so I just blew it out. Cleaned everything else and the float needle seemed to be working proper. Took the slide out, clip position was on 3 from top, fine, everything looked right, more cleaning and a million more kicks, no fire, just a burp or 2. Then checked exhaust. My first experience with a mouse nest, wasp nest, feed pellet combo. Was a bitch to get out but still couldn't get the bike to run with the exhaust off. Battery was fully charged good one from my other AT1. I'm at loss right now but I'm thinking maybe not enough compression to run? Timing? I didn't have a tester but did the thumb test and it sure didn't blow it off just felt pressure against when kicking. Thought to do that same thing on my running AT1 and comparing and also renting a tester from Orielly. Also maybe pulling the whole carb of my good one and trying that. On float height...at 25.5mm the tang isn't level with the gasket surface. The float height would be higher than 25.5 if so. ??? I dunno, maybe just need to fight another day. Oh!! I also don't have a throttle hooked up. I did fiddle with the cable at top of carb and still no run. I tried starter fluid also and some premix in the plug-hole.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

23 May 2020 22:28
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
AT1 battery sparking #8
On float, *arms* level with the float bowl gasket surface. Tang is bent to where it needs to be to achieve that.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

23 May 2020 22:40
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
AT1 battery sparking #9
Got it. thank you
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

24 May 2020 18:20
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
AT1 battery sparking #10
So the bike has no compression. Got great spark, got fuel flow, no compression. Rented a tester from O'Reilly which is probably showing low readings but my other AT1 that runs fine showed 60 psi. Put it on the other AT and it read nothing, like wouldn't even move the needle. The exhaust is off of it but my other one ran without it no problem while I acquired the nut flange and springs. So...I've encountered low compression plenty but never not enough to make the bike even run. I could pull the carb off my other bike and slap it on but this thing should've fired on starter fluid for sure. The plug is correct so I need some help on where to go next.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart