facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length

25 Mar 2020 15:07
Dad637
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #1
Good day gents, spring has sprung and nothing more isolating that a ride.
Anyway, I purchased the appropriate clutch cabs from kdi but have little to know adjustment by handle. It’s backed pretty well off. Do I want to know what this is an indicator of? Up to 6460 original miles. Pic attached. Thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Mar 2020 16:17
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #2
back that adjuster off the take up as much as you can on the pushrod adjuster at the bottom. if that doesn't get rid of it [providing its the right cable] then likely the nylon worm on the bottom bit has split which lets it pull some movement before trying to move sideways. What i've done on occasions is tap an 8mm thread on top of where the cable fits through the bottom case. Then fitted a cable adjuster similar to the top--maybe with a smaller lock nut thingy & get rid of some play that way. Actually i move the bottom nipple up the amount required then re-solder-well, done both methods. Or replace the nylon worm at million pound 10 if ya can find one [if that's the base problem].
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

26 Mar 2020 14:20
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #3
Suggest you compare the old one to the new one. Are they identical?

Also I've found that old used cables are not really stretched that much, the sheath is compressed.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

26 Mar 2020 15:43
Dad637
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #4
I did work on the lower portion and reset to factory recommendations. I think it was a 1/4 turn back off from contact. Thanks for the thought.

26 Mar 2020 15:47
Dad637
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #5
The lever cable adjustment is in pretty much the same position as the old one. I was hoping that a new cable would have been about 1/2”shorter. Still works, but I am losing the threads on the adjuster on the lever side towards the end of so I am losing a little adjustment. Maybe, it is what it is. Thanks for the input.

26 Mar 2020 16:17
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #6
Right--which brings me back to my point that the worm [actuator]is likely split & the arm is moving about halfway before lifting [moving sideways]. take the lifter cover off again & push the arm to the bottom if not already there then bring it up slowly to see when it lift. That might not work without load on it pushing the clutch rod. Just turn the lifter right out & eyeball it for splitting. I'll eat my hat if i'm wrong. Mind you my stack of hats is getting smaller so might be wrong again lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, KennyV

27 Mar 2020 08:35
Dad637
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #7
i am not sure what you mean by lifter cover, can you put your kid gloves on and let me know. Willing to try. I told my kids when they were little that I would eat my left foot if I was wrong. Long story short, I was wrong and kids 15 years later still remind me of it.

27 Mar 2020 16:54
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #8
Sprocket cover where the cable hooks on to the 'Actuator" think they call it sorry--i call it a clutch lifter. When the cable pulls on that it should start moving sideways immediately to push the pushrod across to lift [release] the cluch. If the actuator nylon work is split it'll move so far before it starts to pushing the rod across. First link below i found just googling is my old dungbox 360 i fitted an RD350 actuator complete--did it wrong but it works. Second link about halfway down shows a split actuator although i've never had that nylon bit off the main part but can see the split plainly which i suspect on yours. Cheers.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/1...-clutch-actuator-fix
www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...er-assembly-dt1#5649
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

27 Mar 2020 17:04
Dad637
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
1971 DT1E 250 clutch cable length #9
Thanks RT325, I will have look at that end. Cheers.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart