facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: My 3rd DT-1!

My 3rd DT-1! 21 Jul 2019 21:33 #11

• BajaBronco
  • BajaBronco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Had some time today so filled my oil tank with yamalube and bled the system and popped off the cylinder feed to be sure. Checked oil level. Added gas, put on a unifilter for now, and she started 3rd kick. Ran and idled, I messed with idle and brought down to 1800 (high I know), Let it warm a bit and ran it up and down driveway. What a feeling!!

Left it for a bit and came back to air tires and take it around the block and now won’t start. Drained carb, checked spark, checked gas, checked carb bowl and jet, all about 3x each. No start.

Wondering what to do now. Sounded awesome and felt good when it ran. I’ll try to post video.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andrew
71 DT-1E

My 3rd DT-1! 21 Jul 2019 22:02 #12

• HouseofEnduro
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I hate it when that happens! I've experienced it too many times. First thought is that it is flooded - you said the engine had been warmed up, did you use the choke when you went to restart it? Sometimes that floods it. Pull the plug to inspect, if flooded it will be wet. Kick it through without the plug a few times, throttle wide open, check for spark, if all is good reinstall and try again. You can also simply wait overnight and it will quite possible correct itself.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: BajaBronco

My 3rd DT-1! 30 Jul 2019 21:37 #13

• BajaBronco
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Figured out what was up with mine today. I cleared out carb a bunch of times, checked spark once, tore carb apart, took fuel petcock apart....had no luck with any of those, but today had some time and checked spark again. Once in a while I'd get a spark when kicking it over. I thought maybe bad grounding of plug, but I made sure it was grounded now and it was sparking only some of the time. So I pulled the cover off the Magneto, pulled magneto (luckily still had my puller from years ago), and found it was all crusty inside. cam portion rusty, magnets rusty, etc. and wire from points worn from rubbing on magneto. Also - my lighting coil is gone...bye! Glad I didn't try the lights. Anyway, repaired wire, cleaned magneto, light grease on cam hub, and put back together. Points not opening - crust had worn down the follower on the point set. Faked point gap to be sure I had spark still. Put back together again and had good spark. Finalized assembly and it started right up! This time it re-starts, etc. Super happy now. I should find a lighting coil and also remake the wire to points that was worn thru the insulation. But for now it's not rubbing and runs well. Seems to like 2000 rpm idle setting to start, but then runs fine warm at 1400. Doesn't like to start at 1400. I turn it up a little to start cold. Will post some pics soon. Next step is tires, and maybe oil leaks and rear fender paint, front fender re-vamping. ( I always run a hi fender).

Andrew
71 DT-1E

My 3rd DT-1! 30 Jul 2019 21:54 #14

• BajaBronco
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Here are some pics to go with it.
Attachments:

Andrew
71 DT-1E

My 3rd DT-1! 31 Jul 2019 04:48 #15

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Great job!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

My 3rd DT-1! 31 Jul 2019 04:53 #16

• Nitto05
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Hey we bike buddy's but myne is red
Attachments:

With a strong will you can achieve anything

My 3rd DT-1! 31 Jul 2019 16:08 #17

• BajaBronco
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Cool, my 2nd DT was a red 70. Had it the longest. Maybe 3 years. 1999-2001

I’ll go thru my photos and start a different thread of some of the bikes I had. 2 of the rts I want back so badly! Ugh
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV

Andrew
71 DT-1E
Last Edit: by BajaBronco.

My 3rd DT-1! 13 Sep 2019 13:00 #18

• BajaBronco
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I'm getting ready to ride my DT on some trails with a friend next week. Getting registered today and have title and PO's non op form with plate number. I decided since I had the original owners details to google and him, find a number and call him. He's 75 and bought it brand new. He said the license plate fell off in Barstow around 1973. He told me where to look for it! I think I'll pass at least right now. He did say he got 50.00 off the bike new because it had one small scratch and he bought it from Dick Allen Yamaha in Newhall, ca. It still says that on the buddy seat. He also mentioned he'd only had a Hodaka ace 100 before and the day after getting the bike he launched it over some railroad tracks and ruined the rear fender pretty badly. I had already replaced it - thats the first thing I did. Anyway, cool to hear some original owner stories!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, KennyV

Andrew
71 DT-1E

My 3rd DT-1! 13 Sep 2019 14:23 #19

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Great story!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

My 3rd DT-1! 13 Sep 2019 17:58 #20

• Rick C.
  • Collector
  • Collector

BajaBronco wrote: I'm getting ready to ride my DT on some trails with a friend next week. Getting registered today and have title and PO's non op form with plate number. I decided since I had the original owners details to google and him, find a number and call him. He's 75 and bought it brand new. He said the license plate fell off in Barstow around 1973. He told me where to look for it! I think I'll pass at least right now. He did say he got 50.00 off the bike new because it had one small scratch and he bought it from Dick Allen Yamaha in Newhall, ca. It still says that on the buddy seat. He also mentioned he'd only had a Hodaka ace 100 before and the day after getting the bike he launched it over some railroad tracks and ruined the rear fender pretty badly. I had already replaced it - thats the first thing I did. Anyway, cool to hear some original owner stories!

Sounds like you are close to Santa Clarita. Dick Allen's was the place to go.
Now there is PitPro. ( My local shop. )

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart