facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DT1 no spark

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 17:09 #1

• Dt1
  • Dt1's Avatar Topic Author
I recently aquired what i believe is a 1970 dt1 . my problem is im getting no spark. heres a list off all the things ive already tried with no luck. This bike was previously stripped of all the lights so all the wiring is disconnected. i strickly plan on using this bike as an off road only. I have several questions that hopefully you guys and gals can help me with. Ive read several post but not sure if im doing something wrong.

-new points ( maybe not set correctly?)
-cleaned inside of the flywheel up
- purchased a new emigo universal coil and a new condensor

my questions are what is the correct way to set the points on this? theres a little red mark on the flywheel what is this supposed to line up with. Since im using this as off road only i should be able to get rid of the 2 lighting coils correct? How would i the wire up the single source coil to the condensor and to the points.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 17:58 #2

• Nitto05
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Yeah I'm having the same problem to I have a 1968 yamaha dt1 enduro new condenser and points but no spark I tried with I think a 6v ignition coil I'm getting 10-3v ac reading on my multimeter but no spark I dunno what to do am I'm stuck on this and jts the last step for me to get it running from being in a barn for 40 years
Attachments:

With a strong will you can achieve anything

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 18:26 #3

• Capt.Dave
  • Collector
  • Collector
First of all new points need to be cleaned. Leave the coils on. There is a tab on one of the coils, ;when the red mark on the flywheel passes the tab the points should just start to open, don`t worry about a points gap. There is a black wire comming out of the stator, connect it to the coil, I use a wire with alligator clips. You should get spark.
Capt Dave
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, PigDoc

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 19:10 #4

• Dt1
  • Dt1's Avatar Topic Author
what should the wiring be from the source coil to the condensor? just wanna check make sure thats all correct?

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 19:23 #5

• Nitto05
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Black

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 19:23 #6

• Nitto05
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Capt Dave how would I clean the points I hope that's what's wrong

DT1 no spark 11 Jul 2019 20:05 #7

• ajacstern23
  • Novice
  • Novice
To clean points I take a small piece of sandpaper and fold it so that it is rough on both sides and then I put it in the contacts and wiggle it around while the points spring puts pressure on it. I use 400 grit but the grit doesn't matter that much. I do it a few times and then check with a piece of white paper that it comes out clean. You can also check with a multimeter to see if you have a good connection.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Capt.Dave

DT1 no spark 12 Jul 2019 00:09 #8

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
source coil, points , condenser, and black wire to plug coil all soldered together on condenser. Right side light coil has a tab that (should) be close enough to 3.2mm BTDC (timing) to set points to just opening. You can see thru flywheel slot and adjust points as necessary thru it. This will have you in ballpark to ck spark. got spark? time it correctly w/dial indicator (head off) & buzz box, sensitive multimeter (as it will not loose much continuity as source coil in circuit, it'll "wink" when points open. If no spark, you'll need to ohm ck following procedures in service manual electrical section in Tech section/ repair manuals

DT1 no spark 12 Jul 2019 18:29 #9

• Nitto05
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I have sanded the points with 400grid and nothing still

DT1 no spark 13 Jul 2019 01:56 #10

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
Are points opening (as seen in flywheel window)? Do u own a multimeter? You need one to perform the simpilest of tests (the plug connector) they will go dead (infinate resistance) when unscrewed, by the way, is it snugly screwed to wire? Try cutting wire back a smidge so it has fresh(er) wire to bite into. Plug new or not been fuel fouled? if u ck these and no spark maybe clean 'em again, I'm not a fan of sandpaper as it leaves debris, I like 2 use a metal nail file (borrow from wife & don't tell her why, just clean it!) I spray electrical contact cleaner then run a business card thru till its clean. If no spark, ck ignition coil resistance, maybe disconnect ignition switch (it grounds coil to kill engine) it'll run w/out it. If all fails, you'll b using that ohm function and manual in electrical section to further test. Its pretty simple, with a quirk of low change in ohm reading points open as source coil is in circuit still

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart