facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Re:Just got a new project

• Godlygaz
  • Godlygaz's Avatar Topic Author

Just got a new project was created by Godlygaz

Hi all,

I'm new here, and this is my first attempt at a complete project renovation! An AT1b - rare in the UK - but finding parts are difficult
I have ridden bikes since I was 21 ( I am 30 this year.... Midlife crisis already?)

So I brought this bike ( as you can see when I started taking photos I had already taken the tank off .

The bike I believe has a gearing issue as it wouldn't click past 2nd ?( first click up) , and I got the neutral light to show but couldn't get it to spark even with a new ignition coil.

So I decided to start ripping it apart for a complete rebuild. The bit I am going to struggle with the most is the electrics . A couple of questions to get me going that are throwing me off if anyone has the chance to answer :

This bike looks like it is 12v but all the literature suggests it may be a 6v system which I am a bit confused about - any ideas or things that I may have to adapt inorder for it to function with a 12v battery?

Secondly - if anyone has parts or services ( particularly to do with frame restoration or painting) i would be keen to know

Any hints and tips when restoring this bike will be greatly appreciated!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, KennyV
25 Mar 2020 14:04 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Just got a new project

Hi & welcome from NZ. I guess you have an electric start 12 volt AT1. We sold both here but my one is magneto & 6 volt [albeit now with a 175 top end.
Re the gears, that's an odd thing to happen but first [& unlikely] thing is the chain has come off or broken & bunched up around the front sprocket & wiped off the end of the selector drum letting it move sideways unsecured to the left side. Had it happen many times but mostly on farm bikes with the same variation of 'that' original motor design whether it's an AG100 or 175. Other than that you might have to get in behind the clutch in the right side case & look at how the claw arm pulls the drum around & if the arm with roller & spring are still in one piece. One other thing--to change through the gears things need to revolve for the dogs to find their slots so if ya trying to change 5 gears without motor running, then revolve the rear wheel a bit or just back & forth a little to feel it into gear. Now get to bed--only us oldies are allowed up late!!. I assembled these bikes new in 1970 lol, or back to "62 if i think about it. Good luck with ya project & great you've saved another one.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, KennyV
25 Mar 2020 14:36 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Just got a new project

Welcome! from another Brit Gaz.

You may know and have done some of these things already, so apologies in advance:-

1) Your bike looks to have non standard paintwork and rear light maybe, so I would just double check the frame number (VIN code) against the schedules in the Tech Library here (see task bar at the top) to confirm which model you have.
2) CMSNL (in Holland) and Partzilla (US) are good sources of parts and info. CMSNL is good for photos and both will show which models shared a part, so that any search is not limited to "AT1B" etc.
3) Ebay can be your friend. Search by part number (old and new if a superseded number) and model - also examine photos closely. Make every effort to find out what the part you are looking for looks like and carry out a search using a wide description range. A lot of these parts, and what they fit to, get (accidently) incorrectly described. If used, it might have been fitted to the wrong bike in the first place and if new, it might have been put back in the wrong packaging.

As RT325 said in his reply, if you have an electric start model it will be 12v, if not then probably 6v.

Great bunch of guys here, loads of free manuals and info available to download from the Tech Library and an excellent "Search Forum" facility.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress and just post if you have any more queries.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
26 Mar 2020 01:08 #3

• Godlygaz

Replied by Godlygaz on topic Re:Just got a new project

Thanks for all your comments so far people!

The paint work is partially original so far as I can tell. The fuel tank ' annoyingly' had been filled in where the badge normall went and was replaced with a sticker....... So that has been removed and what's left has photo attached .

I have partially taken the engine to pieces but accidentally cracked the clutch housing while getting the retaining nutt off the clutch side. I have got a new piece on order however who knows what international postage will be like now.
Because this happened I decided to get on refurbishing the rest of the bike ( more photos attached)
I'm probably going to get a 80 grit sander on my rotary tool and start working at the frame so I can prime and paint again.

After your comments , I am debating whether to continue taking the engine apart until I have cleaned up the auxillary mechanism thats attach to the engine to rule them out first?

26 Mar 2020 02:42 #4

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Re:Just got a new project

Welcome! and nice project!

We need to see the other side (ignition side) of the engine to tell if it's a 12 volt or 6 volt.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Mar 2020 06:37 #5

• Schu
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Schu on topic Re:Just got a new project

Are you going to try and remove the filler from the badge mounting area? I have a tank with the same problem and I have no idea how to remove the filler. Anyone have suggestions for us?
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
26 Mar 2020 06:51 #6

Replied by KennyV on topic Re:Just got a new project

Will acetone dissolve it?
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
26 Mar 2020 06:57 #7

• Godlygaz

Attached . Tia

26 Mar 2020 07:13 #8

• Godlygaz

I have looked into this, I haven't tried anything however from the impression I'm getting is that it might not be a feasable task to remove the filler because of the bracket behind it...I'm told even with a good chemical you still have to put some elbow grease into it with a scraper

26 Mar 2020 07:15 #9

Replied by 2fishkev on topic Re:Just got a new project

I have no idea personally and have never seen it mentioned, but what about sandblasting. I bet it would take awhile at least.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
26 Mar 2020 07:37 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart